the Parasites Cryptosporidium parvum or
Giardia lamblia, Alinia® Can Help.
Alinia® Is the Only FDA-Approved Product for Treating Diarrhea Caused by Both of these Parasites in Patients 1 Year of Age and Older.
Please note: Alinia is not approved to treat other possible symptoms of cryptosporidiosis and/or giardiasis (such as cramps, dehydration, nausea, fever,vomiting). It also is not approved to prevent the spread of infection.
Giardiasis and Cryptosporidiosis Symptoms1,3
Adults or children who have diarrhea for more than two weeks could be suffering from giardiasis or cryptosporidiosis.
Diarrhea is the most common symptom. Other symptoms include: stomach cramps or pain, dehydration, nausea, vomiting, fever, and weight loss.1,3
Treatment of Diarrhea caused by Giardia and Crypto
Taking Alinia Medication Is as Easy as …
Alinia Recommended Dosages and Important Administration Instructions
Important Administration Instructions for Pediatric Patients 11 years of Age or Younger:
Alinia tablets should not be administered to pediatric patients 11 years of age or younger because a single tablet contains a greater amount of nitazoxanide than the recommended dosing in this pediatric age group.
* Keep container tightly closed, and shake the suspension well before each administration. The reconstituted suspension may be stored for 7 days at room temperature, after which any unused portion must be discarded.
Talk to your doctor to determine if Alinia is right for you. Please see the Full Prescribing Information for more information.
1 Cryptosporidium – General Information for the Public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/general-info.html. Accessed May 11, 2017.
3 Giardia – Illness and Symptoms. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/illness.html. Accessed May 11, 2017.
ALINIA® for Oral Suspension (patients 1 year of age and older) and ALINIA Tablets (patients 12 years and older) are indicated for the treatment of diarrhea caused by Giardia lamblia or Cryptosporidium parvum.
Limitations of Use: ALINIA for Oral Suspension and ALINIA Tablets have not been shown to be effective for the treatment of diarrhea caused by Cryptosporidium parvum in HIV-infected or immunodeficient patients.
Important Safety Information regarding ALINIA:
- Do NOT take ALINIA Tablets or ALINIA for Oral Suspension if you are allergic to nitazoxanide or any other ingredient in the formulations.
- ALINIA Tablets or ALINIA for Oral Suspension should be taken with food.
- ALINIA Tablets should NOT be taken by children 11 years or younger.
- ALINIA tablets and ALINIA for Oral Suspension should be taken with food.
- Please discuss with your doctor if you:
- have hepatic, biliary, or renal disease.
- are taking any other medications (for example, warfarin).
- are a pregnant or a nursing woman.
- are 65 years of age and older.
- are HIV infected or have an immune disease (such as AIDS).
- The most common side effects reported for ALINIA Tablets and ALINIA for Oral Suspension during clinical trials were abdominal pain, headache, chromaturia and nausea.
*For more information, please read the Full Prescribing Information.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088, or contact Romark at 1-813-282-8544.
Alinia is a registered trademark of Romark, L.C.
Intended only for residents of the United States of America. ©2021 Romark, L.C., Tampa, Florida 33607-8416
The information contained in this website is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace discussions with a healthcare provider. Alinia is not right for everyone. Decisions regarding healthcare must be made with a healthcare provider, considering the unique characteristics of the patient.